August 2011 was a record bike-mile month for me. How did I do that?
- I did a 130-mile camping trip on the last weekend of the month
- I spent a lot of time running errands out to the east end
- I rode my recumbent for 70 miles by riding to the Crestwood ride 25-miler, then back home
- I rode a 70-mile RCCS ride
- I rode my bike to work every day
- I had several 20-40 mile rides
- I rode a few extra miles on the last day of the month – just to push myself to a new record
On 8/31, I rode to work the normal way, a whole 3.6 miles or so. I left work early for a doctor’s appointment (which got me okay’d for a third epidural).
I rode the following route from work to the doctor and then home:
Instead of taking the normal way, I took River Rd all the way to Lime Kiln. This was flat as a pancake and I managed a 15mph average on this stretch… on the single speed.
After turning unto Lime Kiln there’s a small climb, but it’s mostly flat after that. I stayed on that same road, although it changes names to Herr Ln then to Lyndon Ln, all the way past Shelbyville Rd and nearly to my doctor’s office.
On the way back, I took the more normal New Lagrange, Washburn, Westport route. After meandering through the parks, I wen’t to Za’s for pizza then headed home.
After getting home, I realized I was still short of a new monthly record, so I headed back out.
I basically just wandered around. I didn’t have a destination in mind. I had mentioned to Tim that I might go through Indian Hills, but I never made it out quite that far. I was still on the single-speed (actually haven’t ridden the LHT since the camping trip). Here’s my route:
Once I got back home, I had 671 miles, a new personal best month. I’m going to shoot for 700 in September.