It’s almost a new year. Here are my goals for the next year. This is not a “resolution”. These are goals I can re-visit, track progress, and modify if I need to. 🙂
- Train for and complete an Olympic Triathlon on 7/31/2011
- Weight lifting for upper-body strength (I’m pretty pathetic above the waist now)
- Get to my goal weight of 175lbs by 7/1/2011, and never go above 180 again (at about 216 today)
- Ride at least 5000 miles for the year
- Drive fewer miles than I ride (this could be hard due to most driving being longer trips)
- Do at least three overnight bike camping trips
- Start riding with the local club – on my single-speed (I’ve done that once this year)
Let’s look at some goals I posted on 2/28/2009
- Goal weight will remain at 175 lbs (for now). I hope to reach that goal by the end of August.
- Ride a century this year (100 miles in one day).
Didn’t happen until 2010.
- Raise $3200 for The Ride to Conquer Cancer, and complete the entire ride under my own power.
I raised over $2500 and completed the ride. I’ll call that success. I did not participate in 2010. The fundraising part really is the hardest.
- Learn to ride my new unicycle, and complete a ten-mile ride on it by June 2010.
I gave up the unicycle.
Didn’t bother. Without the unicycle it wouldn’t be as cool. 🙂
- Ride to work more often. I had hoped to average 3 days per week, but I’m not even managing that right now.
This was up and down for a while, but I moved to Louisville, and I ride (almost) every day.
- Ride to work five days a week at least 3 weeks per year.
- Increase my average speed on the bicycle a little bit.
Hasn’t really happened, although the triathlon training should help that.
- Learn to kayak this year.
I still haven’t touched a kayak, but I did take a canoe trip.
- Get a rod, reel, and fishing license, and spend some time relaxing and fishing.
I didn’t do this either. Most of my free time is gone. I have been reading a lot though.
- Find new fitness activities.
I guess training for a triathlon counts. I’m also starting weight lifting.
- I had made a goal to live-car free. I think I’m giving that up. I do want to drive less, but realities of the modern world make this a very unpopular choice.
I wrote this when I had an old car that was paid for. Then it died. Then I bought a truck. I seldom drive now, but I’m now married, and have a car payment. It’ll be a while before I can become car-free.
- Ride 5000 miles this year. I’m way behind on this so far. I’m two months into the year, and I’ve only ridden 541 miles.
I did not make 5000 miles in 2009. I did in 2010, and hope to in 2011.
- Get better about riding in cold rain. I often use this as an excuse not to ride to work, but I have the gear to do so.
I ride in cold rain. I still don’t care for it, other than the “crazy factor”.
- I had planned to try to drive less than 3500 miles per year. I’m giving up on this also.
I’ve modified this to simply ride more than I drive.
- Ride in a roller coaster this year. I’ll actually fit now.
I didn’t get a chance for a real roller coaster, but I did ride in a number of other amusement park rides. Yes, I fit.
- Go skydiving in the summer of 2010.
Didn’t happen. I still want to do it someday, but I’ve got too much else going on financially and time-wise.
- I want to be a better cook.
I may be slightly better, but only slightly. I still don’t cook often enough.
- I want to find a wonderful woman to enjoy these activities with.
I did. I met her shortly after writing that blog post.
3 thoughts on “2011 Goals”
Looking forward to riding with you a bunch in 2011. Praying for a little more predictable schedule with the holidaze out of the way and my little guy getting a little older.
Did you ever get a generator hub?
Happy New Year!
No, I haven’t bought a dynohub, but I will at some point. I’m considering selling a bike to fund it.
I understand the scheduling problems. I hope you get to hang with us more too. 🙂
Some solid goals there, and it seems like you’ve done a good job with the older goals. I haven’t written out my list of goals yet, but some of ’em are pretty similar. Particularly bike camping. Maybe we can work on that one together.
Comments are closed.