Some of you know that I’ve been going through a divorce. It’s been amicable, which is good for all us, especially my 17 year-old daughter.
I’ve actually remained friends with my wife throughout this. The weirdest part was friends (and family) who wanted to take sides. There were no sides. Things just didn’t work anymore.
Yesterday I got the final papers in the mail. The divorce is final. The marriage has officially come to an end. We were married for over 13 years. I don’t regret any of it, but it was time to move on.
My divorce was unrelated to my weight loss, however, the overall life change intertwined a bit. Here’s a rough timeline:
- October 2007: My weight was nearly 300 lbs. I got serious about weight loss, bought a scale, and started changing my eating habits.
- November 2007: I bought an elliptical for exercise. I started this blog to document my progress, and publicly humiliate myself to lose weight.
- December 2007: My wife and I decided so split up, and continue on with our lives without each other.
- January 2008: My weight dropped below 270 lbs.
- February 2008: My wife found an apartment, and I helped her move.
- March – April 2008: I struggled with my weight, depression, and loneliness. I gave up consulting work for a full-time job. I spent a bunch of money to feel better. I bought new furniture and my first HDTV.
- Late April 2008: I bought a bicycle.
- May 2008: My weight dropped below 260 lbs. I started commuting to work on my bicycle on an (ir)regular basis.
- July 2008: I bought my recumbent bike. I received some minor fame from WAVE3 TV.
- August 2008: My weight dropped below 240 lbs. My wife and I actually got around to filing for divorce. I started considering a car-free existence in the future.
- September 2008: I rode a 60 mile ride.
- November 2008: I changed jobs to work with less stress.
Now it’s December. I am glad the divorce is over, but my emotions over the whole thing are rather weird.
I truly enjoy my new job, but I do fear I won’t handle some of the bigger challenges I face there.
I haven’t been riding enough, and I’ve been eating too much too often. I’m still losing weight, but at a slower rate. I didn’t ride to work today as planned, but it was because I overslept (again). I need to get better about that.