On October 31, 2007 I started weighing myself and making steps to change bad habits. I knew then that it would be a long-term change. What has changed in one year?
- I’ve lost 67.4 lbs
- I’ve been on a 60-mile bike ride
- I can ride my bike to work (and do on an irregular basis)
- I can tie my shoes without hurting myself
- I like what I see in the mirror
- I have a lot better muscle tone (mostly in the legs)
- I’ve realized that “fat guy” is not a permanent state
- I’ve spent way too much money on bike stuff
- I now know that my goal weight is achievable (54 more lbs to go)
- I’m not afraid of riding a bike in bad weather
- People who haven’t seen me in a while are surprised at my appearance
- My eating habits are much better now
- I don’t drink soda
- I drink much more water, and much less beer
I did all of this without any fancy diets, just sensible eating. No drugs, surgery, or other short-cuts.
On October 31, 2009, I intend to write another post like this announcing that I’ve reached my goal weight of 175 lbs.