I’ve changed my goal weight from 180 to 200 lbs. I think 180 may be a little too thin. I want to get a little more muscular, and I probably can’t do that and be much under 200 lbs. This means I only have 70.6 more pounds to go.
Here are my goals:
- Summer 2008: be able to ride a bike for 15-20 miles.
- Early 2009: achieve my goal weight of 200 lbs.
- Summer 2009: be able to run 10-20 miles.
Why I have these goals:
- I don’t want to suffer a heart attack in my 40s or 50s.
- I hate not being able to fit properly in a roller coaster (I love roller coasters).
- Being obese leads to lack of self-esteem and depression.
- A 300 lb man looks funny in a Kia Rio.
- To set an example for my wife and daughters.
- My weight causes pain in my back, neck, and shoulders, especially after sleeping.
- To fix a few problems with my digestive system, that I won’t discuss here.
What have I achieved so far:
- My current weight is down 25.8 lbs to 270.6
- I am able to do two 45-minute sessions on the elliptical in a day, instead little ten-minute sessions.
- I have changed my eating habits, so that eating healthier comes naturally to me.
- When I eat a dessert (such as ice cream) I have a very small serving.
- My beer consumption is down to about 5% of what it used to be. I rarely drink now, and don’t drink as much.
- I can walk up eight flights of stairs in the parking garage without feeling ill.
Considering I started all of this at about 300 lbs, and I would get winded by a short walk, I’m quite happy with the progress that I’ve made. I still have a way to go, and like everyone else, still have the other day-to-day issues to deal with, but I’m confident that I will achieve the three goals. I’ve even considered making a 2010 goal to run a marathon, but I’ll wait until 2009 to make that decision.